The Parks and Recreation Department announced last night at the Richardson City Council meeting that Richardson’s four neighborhood pools (Canyon Creek, Glenville, Cottonwood, Terrace) will open in a limited capacity this summer, while the Heights Family Aquatic Center will remain closed for the 2020 swim season. The decision follows guidelines provided by Gov. Greg Abbott as part of the phased reopening of Texas’ businesses and services. Neighborhood Pools The Canyon Creek, Cottonwood, Glenville and Terrace pools will open July 1 at 50 percent capacity, the maximum amount currently allowed by executive order. Capacity levels will be increased as allowed by changes in the Governor’s executive orders. Swim sessions will be implemented and limited to two hours and the pool facilities will be routinely cleaned throughout the day to help prevent the spread of COVID-19. Heights Family Aquatic Center The Heights Family Aquatic Center will remain closed for the 2020 summer swim season due to staffing shortages. Preparations began earlier this year to hire aquatics program lifeguards, and other qualified seasonal personnel, but there have not been enough applicants to fill all needed positions to open the facility. Modified Openings When the pools open, the following rules and regulations will be in place:
- Pools will operate at 50 percent capacity.
- Swim sessions will last two hours, with 30-minute closures for cleaning between sessions. Current guests will have to depart after their session. Their hands will be stamped so they will be allowed back in for the next session. Guests will only have to pay one admission fee per day.
- Pools will be available to Richardson residents and their guests only until further notice.
- All patrons will need to provide their own chairs as deck furniture will not be available.
- No season passes will be sold.
- Neighborhood Private Party Pool Reservations will be available at the 50 percent capacity level. Reservations will be online only beginning at 6 a.m. June 15. Reservations may be made by phone, 972-744-7892, or in person at Huffhines Recreation Center beginning at 8 a.m. June 15.
- Day care use will be by reservation only beginning July 13. Reservations will be accepted starting July 8 by calling 972-744-7892.
The 2020 swim program including the swim team, learn to swim and private lessons have been canceled. Neighborhood Pool Locations and Modified Hours of Operation Canyon Creek Pool 600 Aspenwood Dr. 972-671-0185 Open 1-3 p.m., 3:30-5:30 p.m. and 6-8 p.m. Closed on Monday Cottonwood Pool 1321 W. Belt Line Rd. 972-644-7156 Open 1-3 p.m., 3:30-5:30 p.m. Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday Open 1-3 p.m., 3:30-5:30 p.m., 6-8 p.m. Saturday and Sunday Closed on Wednesday Glenville Pool 500 S. Glenville Dr. 972-671-0187 Open 1-3 p.m., 3:30-5:30 p.m., 6-8 p.m. Closed on Tuesday Terrace Pool 300 N. Lois Ln. 972-671-0190 Open 10 a.m.-noon, 12:30-2:30 p.m., 3-5 p.m. Monday-Wednesday and Friday Open 1-3 p.m., 3:30-5:30 p.m., 6-8 p.m. Saturday and Sunday Closed on Thursday For more information, contact the Richardson Aquatics office at 972-744-7892 or visit www.cor.net/aquatics. All updates can be found on the City of Richardson’s COVID-19 news page at www.cor.net/coronavirus.
# # #