As demand for energy remains at unprecedented levels due to historically cold temperatures, suppliers continue to experience challenges with supply and delivery that limit the amount of natural gas Atmos Energy can deliver to its customers.
Even as the weather warms and producers are working to bring on more supplies, it remains important that all residents and businesses continue to be vigilant in their conservation efforts.
These natural gas supply constraints may lead to service outages for some Atmos Energy customers. If service is interrupted, restoration may take an extended period of time. Once supply is restored, Atmos Energy technicians will need to visit each home to safely restore gas service.
Atmos Energy urges all residents and businesses to continue to conserve energy to help maintain service for our most critical human needs customers. Everyone can continue to help by lowering the thermostat to 68 degrees or less, setting the water heater temperature to 120 degrees, and more: atmosenergy.com/weathersafety
Furthermore, those who experience an electrical outage may turn off the furnace. One of the easiest ways may be to turn it off at the thermostat. Then, after the power comes back on, Recommends . This may help the natural gas system adjust to a sudden increase in usage.
Atmos Energy reminds customers to heed the guidance of local leaders and stay alert to changing weather conditions in their area. Our teams are working around the clock to provide safe and reliable service, and we appreciate your patience during this historic weather event.
- Lower thermostat to 68 degrees.
- Businesses should minimize energy usage as much as possible.
- Lower the water heater temperature to 120 degrees.
- Never use an oven or a gas stovetop to heat your home.
- Reduce shower time and avoid baths.
- Avoid using natural gas fireplaces, if possible.
- Turn off pool heater. Instead, run pumps during the coldest part of the day to circulate the water and prevent freezing.
Please also remember these ways to stay safe at home:
- Protect natural gas meters. Natural gas meters are weather-proof; however, to ensure that the meter keeps working smoothly, remove snow and ice from natural gas meters with a broom or brush. Never kick or chip snow and ice away with a hard object.
- If you think you smell gas, act fast! Leave the area immediately and from a safe distance call 911.
Atmos Energy encourages customers needing solutions to keep up with their monthly natural gas expenses to contact Atmos Energy’s customer service team at 888.286.6700 or visit the account center at https://www.atmosenergy.com/accountcenter/logon/login.html